Monday, December 12, 2011

Is it okay if I (ever) take time off????

I was recently asked the above question and I thought I'd share my answer with you.

I am a small business expert and I fix companies.

The best way to go into something is with the right set of expectations.

Know that having your own business is going to be a lot of work and also (hopefully!) very rewarding; having said that, realize that some of the perquisites that come from living the life of an employee will go away.

Stress-free vacation time: I’m looking at you.

However, once you have developed a rhythm for your business, getting away and being in a different environment is key; it enables one to “sharpen the saw”, “drink the grape” and any other phrase that makes sense to place in quotes.

My secret? 

For my business (I am a small business expert and turn companies around and/or help them grow) I am just about to hit my 10 year anniversary. 

What works for me is to know that once a day while I am on vacation, I am going to re-connect and see if there are any emergencies.

Maybe that will change over time, but this gives me peace of mind, is fair to my family (as they know that work time has a beginning and an end) and my clients like that I care about them.


No comments:

Post a Comment